2021 Application Deadlines
Alternative Worksite is now accepting Artist Residency applications for 2021. We are cautiously optimistic that we will be able to resume programming in spring. While the safety of our fellows, local community, and staff will continue to remain our highest concern, for the time being we are moving ahead with our planning and in anticipation of welcoming artists back in the coming months.
• Spring Session Mar 7-May 29 Application Deadline: January 1
• Summer Session June 6-Aug 28 Application Deadline: April 1
• Fall Session Sept 6-Dec 5 Application Deadline: July 1
Alternative Worksite is closed from mid-December to late-February.
It is impossible to know what 2021 will bring in terms of the pandemic and there will undoubtedly be many questions ranging from the feasibility of bringing Fellows back, to the safety protocols we will follow once they arrive. When we return, we want everyone to know that they are safe here and we are fortunate to be able to learn from many other organizations as they go through this process; now and in the months to follow.
In the event that Alternative Worksite must cancel a residency session in response to the pandemic, we will notify people as soon as possible and provide a full refund on deposit fees (we have waived application fees for 2021). We hope this provides comfort and assurance in applying in these uncertain times.
In the event an individual must cancel due to COVID-19 related issues, a full refund will be provided. This policy is intended to assist in the instance of illness, exposure, or travel restrictions.
Alternative Worksite is not responsible for non-refundable airline tickets or other indirect expenses associated with cancellations.
Please review all COVID-19 policy and safety information before applying./7863298
This policy is subject to change.
· Applicants may apply for a residency stay of one, two or three months. Please indicate your requested length of stay in your application. We encourage you to apply for as long of a Residency as possible.
· One application per artist per 24 month period.
· Notification of results is sent via email approximately 4 weeks after the application deadline. All applications must be submitted electronically via email. Late applications will not be accepted.
What You Need To Apply
· Resume and/or CV
· Artist statement, in 500 words or less, write a statement about your work and your process.
· Letter of interest, this should outline your specific interest in working at the Virginia location of Alternative Worksite, along with your expectations, your requested length of stay (one, two or three months), and how your participation in the program will affect your practice.
· The names and email addresses of three professional references *please note we do not want letters of reference.
· Documentation of recent work (see application specifics).
· $35 processing fee for the full Residency Program. This fee has been waived for 2021 Applications.
· Please email your application materials to: email@example.com
Visual Art, including painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media and installation art.
*Submit up to 12 images, or up to 15 minutes of video or DVD.
Images should be accompanied by an image list with title, size, media and where applicable, conceptual intent.
Performance, including performance art, choreography, multi-media and/or collaborative works incorporating live performance.
*Submit 15 minutes of video along with any other necessary material that adequately describes your work.
Film & Video, including narrative and experimental films.
*Submit 15 minutes of video along with a written sample of conceptual intent.
Art Professionals, including art critics, art writers, curators, philosophers and theorists alike.
*Submit sufficient material to evidence the breadth of your work and interests, including reviews, essays and catalogs.