AW COVID-19 Safety Plan
As of November 2020
ALTERNATIVE WORKSITE recognizes and understands that AW is a home and a place of work for all. With this in mind, we have done our best to create a safe and secure place for all residents, while also valuing an individuals' need for a place to call home.
With that in mind, effective November, 2020:
- AW will be deemed a “home”* which means all those who do NOT live on the property and enter the building will be required to wear a mask at all times, or be six feet from everyone at all times.
- NOTE: The office on the first floor of AW will be an exception to this rule, as long as the designated entrance/exit are adhered to.
Furthermore, AW Fellows and Staff will have certain restrictions based on their travel and potential exposure. Privileges will be assigned to each individual and each Fellow will be assigned a color of access:
GREEN: Full Access- Lives onsite, works onsite, does not leave property except for essential trips
BLUE: Limited Access- Lives offsite, works onsite
YELLOW: Currently in quarantine. Is temporarily quarantining due to travel, direct exposure is not detected
RED: Access temporarily revoked. Access temporarily revoked for those who are exposed or test positive to COVID-19
* Home will be hereby defined as the primary reason for the structure. Meaning it is first and foremost a place of living and working for Fellows.
HEALTH SCREENING AND PREVENTION
All AW Fellows are required to provide a negative Covid-19 test taken within 5 days before arrival at AW. Upon arrival, temperature checks will be taken, and AW Fellows will be required to self quarantine in the residence in their private spaces. When using common spaces (Kitchens, Bathrooms) Fellows will be required to practice social distancing and wear face masks at all times for the 14 day quarantine period. Other common areas will be off limits for the 14 day quarantine period. Fellows are also required to track symptoms in individual symptom trackers for 14 days and are required to report any symptoms to AW Staff immediately.
Each Fellow will use a personal symptom tracker log, which will be filed in their private personnel record, with access only given to the Director. The master log can be found HERE.
Daily Health Tracking should include:
- A daily temperature check.
- Those with a temperature above 100.4 will be isolated until their temperature is regulated and under 100.4 ,without the aid of medicine, for 72 consecutive hours. Note: AW can make thermometers available to those who do not own one personally, please communicate your needs to AW’s Director.
- A daily symptom check.
- Those with a combination of symptoms* will not be permitted on the premises until they are symptom free, without the aid of symptom-altering medicines, for 72 consecutive hours.
- Disclosure of exposure for you and those living in your household.
** Symptoms include: cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pains, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell.
Once quarantine is completed, Fellows can expect bi-weekly health screening checks.
Extreme Health Concerns Protocol
Those with the following symptoms should immediately contact emergency medical care
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest New confusion
- Inability to wake or stay awake
- Blush lips or face
TESTING POSITIVE FOR ACTIVE COVID-19
In the event that you develop symptoms for COVID-19 and test positive for the virus, AW’s Staff will immediately notify state and local health departments and cooperate with contract tracing efforts, including notification of potential contact who had close contact with the individual, while maintaining confidentiality which is required by federal law and regulations.
All AW Fellows are required to receive a negative COVID-19 test result before they are permitted to return to the premises.
In the event that you feel that you have been exposed (either directly, or through contact with a household member who has directly been exposed) you are REQUIRED to communicate this immediately to AW’s Director. You will be required to quarantine for a period of fourteen (14) days. In the event that a person suspected of or confirmed to have COVID-19 has been in the facility, AW will enact the COVID-19 Accelerated Sanitation and Safety Plan , details below:
- If the person lives on the property, AW will follow the Interim Guidance for US institutions of Higher Education , and isolate the ill persons and provide temporary housing away from other individuals.
- Areas visited by the ill person will be immediately closed off to others and doors and windows will be opened and ventilating fans will be turned on (when applicable) to help increase air circulation in the area. A waiting period of 24 hours or as long as practical will be given before the cleaning and disinfection process begins.
- An outside service will be brought in to sanitize all surfaces and areas where the ill person has been in the past seven (7) days.
- Residents will have their temperature monitored for a period of two weeks, to help ensure that others have not been infected. Those with a temperature over 99.9 11will not be allowed onto the property until their temperature is controlled and under 99.9 for a period of 72 hours without the help of medicine
To ensure Fellows comply with physical distancing requirements, all Fellows at AW agree to the following social distancing** guidelines:
- Ensuring 6 ft. distance between individuals at all times for the first 14 days in Residence
- In the event that the core function of the work requires a shorter distance than 6 ft. all parties must wear acceptable face coverings.
- Tightly confined spaces will be occupied by only one individual at a time.
- In person gatherings will be limited as much as possible. Essential in person meetings will be held in open, well- ventilated spaces with appropriate social distancing among participants.
**According to the CDC, social distancing, also called physical distancing, means keeping at least 6 ft of space between yourself and other people outside of your home.
Common Situations and Solutions for AW:
- No more than 2 people per Kitchen at a time. Morning and evening meal prep will be broken up into multiple timeframes.
- Residency meals will take place at multiple tables, with no more than 2 people at each table, all keeping 6 ft between them.
- All meals will be plated, family style meals will not be permitted
- Green Access team members will eat together
- Blue Access team members will eat together
- Yellow Access team members will not be permitted at meals
- Red Access team members will not be permitted at meals
It is understood that often times group work happens in the shop that is essential to the key functions of artists work. Masks will be required by all Fellows when in the shop, unless they are working by themselves. The shop must remain ventilated with open doors, when possible. Social distancing is required at all times.
The front Living Room, Conference/Dining Room, Lounge/Media Room will be occupied by no more than 2 people at a time.
During an active Shelter in Place no guests are allowed onto the property. Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis, with consent from the Director.
- Guests welcomed onto the property are required to wear a mask at all times, adhere to all social distancing guidelines stated above and may be subject to routine temperature and symptom checks.
- Guests allowed onto the property will not be permitted to use bathrooms or go inside any studios until further notice.
HYGIENE AND CLEANING
Handwashing is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your fellow residents from getting sick. Fellows are required to wash their hands frequently, making sure they are adhering to the below guidelines:
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold). Turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers,
and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
When should you wash your hands? Fellows are encouraged to wash them frequently and are required to wash them:
- When arriving at the residence after travel.
- Before, during and after handling any shared food at any stage of the process (washing, packing, cooking, serving and eating)
- Before and after interacting with the general public
- Before and after leaving the residence for any related essential errand
- After using the toilet
- Before and after treating a cut or wound
- Before and after touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Before and after removing your facemask
- When moving from one work area to another (hand sanitizing is also permitted here)
IE: working in the studio and then moving to the kitchen, working in the shop and then moving to the bathroom.
Handsanitizer AW fellows will be required to bring hand sanitizer which they are required to have on them at all times. Hand Sanitizer can and should be used when washing your hands with soap and water is not readily available (ie in the studio.) Hand sanitizer guidelines are below and should be followed whenever hand sanitizer is used:
- Apply the gel product to the palm of one hand (typically a dime size amount, but please check the label for recommendations.)
- Rub your hands together
- Rub the gel over all the surfaces of your hands and fingers until your hands are dry. This should take
approximately 20 seconds.
Additional guidelines and information regarding washing hands can be found HERE.
Per the CDC’s guidelines, current available evidence suggests that COVID-19 may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own face. Because of this, AW is taking special precautions surrounding requirements for cleaning of the residence. In addition to the personal hygiene requirements of the AW fellows, AW has created and will maintain a cleaning log for the premises. The AW Residents will work together under the guidance of the Director to update the log regularly. All common spaces will be sanitized on a daily basis. Each common space will be cleaned on a weekly basis by a professional cleaning company. The houses will receive a weekly disinfectant cleaning in addition to janitorial services. All areas will be disinfected with an EPA-registered household disinfectant9 provided by AW.
- Artists must adhere to studio capacity limits, follow social distancing practices, and wear a mask when around others.
- Sign the 2021 COVID-19 Waiver of Liability and Indemnity Agreement.
Please note that as the situation surrounding COVID-19 evolves, our policies and procedures may be adjusted to conform to new Center for Disease Control guidelines or insights about the virus. It is important that residents and staff closely follow protocol in order to keep each other safe.